Monday, March 2, 2009

Induction Seduction

Looks like Baby B may be arriving sooner than we thought. At my doctor's appointment today I learned that so long as my blood pressure stays elevated I will not be making it to my due date. Translation: looks like I will probably be getting induced at 39 weeks (sooner if the BP keeps going up and staying up). Now, this only shaves a week off my due date, but the thought of having the baby this month has sent me into a tizzy. Here, I have been planning to just wait it out, probably several days to a week past the due date (given my extensive family history of going way late). But now, faced with the prospect of bumping it up I am all nervous. April 3rd feels a lot farther away than March 27th. Yikes! On the other hand, my mother couldn't be more thrilled. In fact, she said she hopes it comes even sooner - so long as the baby is safe (gee, thanks mom). She was all giddy with excitement when I told her she will probably have a grandchild this month.

The major downside to this is the extreme pressure I am under at work to get a ton of things accomoplished or sufficiently wrangled to hand off to my boss for three months. Shaving a week off my time to complete my "to do" list is a big blow. What's even more pressure is that I still keep getting projects assigned to me. And not just little things either - big, brief writing projects that will take me hours and hours to complete. Those types of projects I usually do on evenings and weekends because I couldn't otherwise complete my regular work. The problem is, I just can't work those hours anymore because I am simply exhausted. My doctor has given me persmission to tell my boss that as a result of my blood pressure, which is significantly affected by stress levels, I will need to deliver early, and that could mean as early as next week if things don't change a bit. We'll see how that works. Keep your fingers crossed - my boss is an understanding and sensitive individual, but he would still much rather have me continue to do all of the briefwriting.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

If you need a lawyer to represent you when you talk to your boss I think I could find one! Take it easy Abby. You're in the home stretch. Enjoy it as much as you can and good luck!