Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lamaze: Bobby is Having a Baby Too!

Tonight was our very first lamaze class. I don't have specific plans or goals for the birth (other than that everyone makes it through safely and that I can avoid surgery or vacuum). However, I have always thought that I would like to try and labor as long as I feel able to naturally, then get an epidural so I can rest up for the big push. Who knows, I may decide that the doctor should meet me at my car to start pumping the drugs. On the other hand, I may find that I want to take it natural all the way. Since I would like to experience labor, I thought it would make sense to take a Lamaze class. Plus, I heard great stories from Marni about the great people she met and the friends she made.

So we went. We had our two pillows, our blanket, and our very active fetus baby with us. After some ice breakers we split the men from the women and I learned that just about everyone else in the class lives far away - Newbury, Concord, Macedonia, etc. Also, some people aren't even due until the end of May, which I found surprising. We actually have the earliest due date in the class. And while I don't know that I will have Marni's good fortune, it was nice to commiserate with other first time pregnant ladies and I think Bobby had a nice time talking to other first-time almost dads.

But the highlight of the evening was when the instructor said to the men "who would like to feel what it is like to be pregnant?" Just who do you think raised his hand right away? That's right, my husband. I am not sure if he was just curious, of if he wanted to see if it really is as challenging as I tell him. Either way, he got a big belly (with big boobs) strapped onto him. Then the instructor had him try and pick something up off the floor, and simulated what it is like to try and get comfortable at night and constantly have to change positions. I think he got the point. The only problem was that the instructor wouldn't let him take it off! She kept telling him - you're not due yet, sorry. At first it was funny, but then it got obnoxious and a little absurd. Even when we got to the relaxation at the end, he wasn't allowed to take it off so he really couldn't do the things she was instructing the coaches to do. But overall, I think he has a new appreciation for my situation. Plus, we got a "belly-to-belly" photo of the two of us which is funny.

1 comment:

Cara said...

maybe we can get that belly-to-belly photo posted on our blog???