Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Birthday Fever

So here it is. I do NOT have baby fever, let me make that clear from the gun. I do, however, have something else and am unsure if it's just the tick of my biological clock, or possibly something else. My father-in-law harmlessly pointed out last week that my husband's 27th birthday is rapidly approaching. This sent me in a downward spiral of panic, 27? It can't be!? If Matt's birthday is looming, mine is right around the corner from his. Will these next several months fly? Will 27 smack me in the face like 24? (Yes, 24 was a difficult birthday for me, I faced the sad realization that I was one year away from 25 - antique in car years, quarter of a century old) 27 is only 3 years away from 30, do I have time to do everything I want, will I feel old (don't I already sometimes?) What is it that is so urgent for me about turning 27, why does that sound old? All of these thoughts pulsed through my brain in a matter of seconds, I could feel my face muscles quickly turning to panic....my father-in-law must have noticed. "What, it's not your birthday, why do you look so worried?" He's right, why do I look so worried, what's so wrong with turning 27? It hit me, I'm not getting any younger, I'm nearing my childbearing years (or well into them in many cultures) but something is missing....ah yes, the desire to have a child. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want children. I do, I really do, I plan on having them someday, when I'm ready. Which is the concern, what if I never feel ready?!? Is it okay that I'm nearing 27 and not ready for children? What if I hit 28, 29 or even 30 and I'm still not ready?

No comments: