Monday, March 10, 2008

refreshing

tonight we went to dinner with our friends who have a beautiful new baby girl who is now three weeks old. i called them today to see if we could stop by and bring over some homemade veggie soup and dinner. they said that they already had plans to go out for dinner, to a bar no less. they invited us to join them so off we went. Levi loved the baby- repeating over multiple times "beebee, beebee" and waving "hi beebee".
It made me think about my friends with kids.
there are three types as far as i can tell.
1. Moms that need to be home according to the child's sleep schedule. (7pm to put their children to bed, and between 1-4pm for naptime). Those moms will do things as long as it does not interfere with baby sleeping.
2. Moms who never want to do anything at all (and even sit in the backseat of the car with their children when they go anywhere- even though the babies are 6 and 9 months).
3. (which i claim to be a part of myself) Moms who do almost everything they used to do "pre-baby" with some slight modifications- still go out to dinner, hang out with friends, and even bring the babies along and puts the babies to sleep whenever/wherever (even if it is in the pack-n-play at someone else'e house).
It was refreshing to hear that our friends with their NEW baby were already going out to dinner and bringing the baby along. I know they will be laid back great parents and it makes me so happy!!!!
I like to postulate how my friends without babies will be when their little ones decide to arrive. One friend is due in a couple months and I like to think she will be in group number 3- I hope so, at least.
When i think about abby and jami having kids, i think they will also be the relaxed type (and as they know, if they are crazy like some of my other friends, i will definitely not be shy- i'll be my blunt self and tell them how i feel!)...
As a pediatrician, one thing i can say is that of all the kids i see day in and day out, the moms that are relaxed have pleasant tempered children, and the moms that are stress cases have babies that are high strung like their mommies...

1 comment:

Abby said...

Don't forget type #4, who gets in trouble with child services . . . I don't think you have to worry about any of us going that route.