Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We're Having Baby Skeletor

So yesterday we had out anatomy ultrasound, which is an opportunity to get a good look at the baby and take whole bunch of measurements to make sure everything is "normal." Everything checked out great for us - placenta in perfect position and baby coming along great. While I was happy to see that everything is going well, I was sort of disappointed over all.

The first strike was the doctor we ended up with. I won't use his name here, but I know I have talked about him with some of you before. He is incredibly curt, goes way to fast, and apparently just doesn't "get" that we are really excited to see our baby, may not get to see it again until it comes out, and want to take a little time at least to look it over. He also sort of made fun of us for not finding out what the gender is and repeatedly said "oh come on, I know what it is, I could tell you . . ."

The second strike was that the baby was laying sideways, facing outward. This explains why I felt a lot of kicking movement to the side yesterday. But unfortunately, it was a terrible position to be able to get a cute profile shot. And, apparently, the baby was very interested in the prodding of the ultrasound, because every time the tech tried to get a sneak attack look at the profile, the baby would turn its head and look right at us. Let me tell you something, there is nothing creepier than a head-on ultrasound shot of a baby's face. No joke, it looked like it was wearing a halloween mask. If you looked closely, and sort of let your eyes relax like you're staring at a magic eye puzzle, you can sort of see lips and that makes it look a little more normal. Unfortunately, when the tech left the room, the freeze frame shot of the baby's face was left on the monitor. It creeped me out so badly that I couldn't look at it for the eternity it took for the doctor to come in. I guess I'll be giving birth to baby skeletor in the spring.

Lastly, when the tech left she said she would have the doctor come in and try to get a profile shot. I was excited and hopeful that we could get a better view. Unfortunately, the doctor I previously mentioned just came in, gave us a hard time about the gender, ran the ultrasound wand over my stomach quickly, and declared everything to be great. Then gave us the creepy skeletor photo. Joy.

But, on the bright side I am glad everything is going well. The baby was very active yesterday and it was cute to see arms and legs moving about. Guess the rest is just a waiting game.

No comments: