Thursday, January 8, 2009

No Diabetes!!!

So after eating some extra carbs over the weekend as instructed, I reported first thing Monday morning for my 3-hour glucose test. I knew it was going to difficult, since my stomach was already growling at 8am, but I brought One Drop to finish reading and take my mind off the situation. After three hours of sitting (Cleveland Clinic really needs more comfortable chairs), four blood draws, and a bottle of super-sweet drink I got to finally leave the lab and have some much needed lunch and something to drink (water . . . not a mojito).

I will say that sitting in the lab makes for some interesting people watching. Early in the morning there were some professional-looking people and a few fellow preggos getting their 1 hour test done (including one overly obnoxious one who was loudly discussing with her husband what to put on their baby registry - we get it, you're pregnant). Then came the moms (and a couple dads) with little kids. For the next hour or so there was non-stop crying and screaming coming from the blood draw room. Literally. They must have overlapped the kids so that one started screaming before the other one stopped. After that came the 65+ crowd. They were by far the most interesting. First off, they all loved to talk. They talked to each other, they talk to the lab technicians, they talk to themselves. Second, they were all hard of hearing and talked really loudly. Third, they all loved to talk to each other loudly about their medical conditions. There was one guy who, whenever anyone walked in, he would ask "what are you in for?" It was amazing to me how everyone was so free about talking about totally personal information. I tried to just hide in my book so that I wouldn't have to face 20 questions. It was also funny how they were all sharing their ages. For instance, there was a conversation between two men where one man, after introducing himself to the other said, "Can you believe I am going to be 89 next week?" It was really sort of funny, like something new to brag about after you retire and your kids are grown and gone. All in all, not a terrible experience.

The good news is that my test results came back normal. Thank you pancreas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! We don't need any more 'betes on Eaton Rd!!! Gotta love a working pancreas....