Thursday, January 22, 2009

dates, scheduling, and the march of dimes...

The march of dimes has starting this massive campaign to end inductions and c-sections before 39 weeks. Before 39 weeks, there is increased incidence of respiratory issues with newborns, so gone are days of 38 week planned deliveries. I am not sure if all hospitals are being so strict on this measure, but UH certainly is, as my OB and I had a conversation a couple weeks ago about scheduling my repeat c-section. I had figured out that March 23rd would be 38 and 4 days and that Mondays are my OB's hospital day, so that would be a perfect date for scheduling. I guess I also took into account that Jeff's vacation starts that day (lucky planning!), but i KNOW that really isnt a good reason to plan a delivery. I just figured with the diabetes, it would be perfect. My OB initially seemed to be hesitant, because although he agrees that the baby should be born a little earlier just because of the diabetes, his hospital is being restrictive and does not want to schedule anything before 39 weeks! So, we just left it alone and said we would discuss it at a later date.....come today- the later date.
i mentioned the date again and he agreed- we really shouldnt wait any later than that, and with the diabetes, the risk to the baby increases at the very end of pregnancy, so i really shouldnt wait until after 39 weeks. Initially, based on my LMP, my due date would have been March 26th, but then with early labs and ultrasounds, we changed that date to april 2nd....but now that those extra few days really really do make a huge difference to the hospital and scheduling and march of dimes, it looks like we're moving my date back to march 26th....
and although it is not official yet, and although it is all dependent on how my pregnancy progresses and how my sugar control and blood pressure are doing, my scheduled c-section date will be friday march 20th......(and ive come to find out, my OB works in the hospital on friday too!).
8 weeks from tomorrow!!!! the time is flying by!

No comments: