Friday, January 9, 2009

Almost Done

It's hard to believe that approximately 12 weeks from now I will become a mom. It still doesn't seem real - like somehow the pregancy will just go on forever. We first found out in July, and that seems like eons ago, but the time went so fast. The fact that there is so little time left brings me a lot of excitement but plenty of nervousness as well.

We've signed up for birthing class, pretty much figured out the nursery (though we still have to paint and get the furniture delivered), lined up child care options, and have some items purchased. Next on the agenda is meeting with a few pediatricians to pick who we like best. And while I look forward to the end and moving on the next stage, there are things I will miss about the preganancy.

Sure, the first trimester was terrible - I hope I totally forget about it. But now I feel pretty good over all. I do have some issues, such as pelvic pain, indigestion, and acid reflux. Plus, I get tired early. But on the whole I feel pretty great. Now I'll just have to see what the next few months brings. I am sure there will be more unpleasantries, but I am ready and the time will fly by.

But I love having a pregnancy belly. It completely disguises any lingering flabbiness I had before I got pregnant, and I think it looks great. The days of sucking in are (temporarily) over! Also, I have been surprised to see that I have still retained my curves, which means my waist is still there to some extent.

I also love feeling the baby move around. It is so surreal and it nearly always leads me to imagine what is going on in there - was that a kick, a punch, an elbow, a foot? I like to try and decipher how the baby is laying if I can. In any event, there is no doubt when the baby is using it's head. I am at the point now when, if I am lying down, I can often tell where the head is and feel a hard rounded area pushing on my side or abdomen. It is so cool (though at times pretty uncomfortable!).

It's also sort of nice to know I am never alone. When I am at work trying to figure out a difficult situation with opposing counsel and it gets heated, or in court about to have a difficult hearing, I just think "hey, there's a baby inside me just hanging out." It sort of helps me put things in perspective and not feel so so anxious about the issue at hand.

I know these next 12 weeks are going to move really fast, so I better try and enjoy them. I will be a little sad when it is over, but it will also bring about a whole new and exciting experience.

Keep baking Baby B. and we'll see you soon!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Enjoy the ride Abby! (and Marni) I loved being pregnant especially the 3rd trimester. It's just so peaceful even if it is tiring.