Monday, December 1, 2008

Clothing Woes

Anyone know where to buy a reasonably priced maternity suit? I am not in court all the time, so luckily I don't need to wear a suit every day. But there are at least a handful of occasions I know of where I will need to dress the part between now and maternity leave. Unfortunately, professional maternity attire leaves a lot of things to be desired. Sure, I have found some really cute sweaters and slacks that I can use in the office, but so far no good blouses and certainly no good suits. I went to motherhood and I felt a little hopeful when the selection (one black and one gray) didn't seem too terrible. But I was shocked when the pants were super tight (despite trying several sizes and several pairs of the same size). I mean, so tight that I had to shuffle my legs just to walk. I was picturing shuffling into the court room and apologizing to the judge for my inappropriate clothing and having to explain that maternity designers still aren't taking the professional woman into account. In the end, I would probably be more annoying than sympathetic. And don't get me started on blouses. I love that the maternity blouse has plenty of room in the tummy so your stomach can grow, unfortunately they forgot to add additional material to the bustline. So when I try on a blouse, it is so tight in the boobs that I look like I am stuffed in, and so big in the waist that I look like I am wearing a young child's dress as a shirt. So, I am still on a quest. And as a result, I have to go to court tomorrow in slacks and a sweater and hope that if I accessorize the hell out of myself no one will notice. Joy.

On the other hand, though, I love how roomy the maternity sweaters are because they feel so cozy and cute. I will just have to make sure that any future pregnancies take place in the fall and winter too so that I don't have to suffer the embarassment of sleeveless shirts with my chubby preggo arms.

1 comment:

Cara said...

This may be a little late, but maybe you could try a plain black dress with a suit jacket over top? Good luck!!