Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Bit of Scare and More Yucky Glucose to Drink

So up until recently, I have been very fortunate to have an uneventful pregnancy. Sure, I felt sick as a dog for a while, and have other fun things that go with the package, but everything was going smoothly. Until last weekend.

On Saturday morning, I was walking through my living room when, (***TMI ALERT***) I suddenly felt very wet. I looked down and saw that I was wet even through my sweatpants. I reached down to check things out, so to speak, and found my hands covered in water. Then, it stopped and everything returned to normal. I felt fine. I wasn't in pain and didn't have any cramps, so I didn't think it was necessary to call the doctor. Bobby felt very different about that, so I ended up calling the answering service and talking to the doctor on call. He told me to go into labor and delivery right away to get checked out. So, we dressed and headed out to Hillcrest. I considered it a practice run and it really didn't take that long to get there. The worst part was getting to the hospital and finding it to be a warzone and no close parking. We'll have to take this into consideration when the real deal happens in the spring.

I L&D I got put in a crappy gown and hooked up to a fetal monitor. Luckily, it was evident right away that the baby was doing fine. It was bopping around like nothing was wrong and couldn't have cared less about what happened. This was good, but then came the exam. First, the on-call doctor from the practice I go to must have been busy, because they sent in a D.O. who looked totally disheveled and whom I am fairly certain just got woken up from a nap on a cot somewhere. He seemed sort of stoned, even (figuratively, not literally of course). He performed just about the most uncomfortable pelvic exam I have ever had. I am so used to my doctor just going in quickly and getting the job done in a pain free way. This guy jams in the speculum like it's nothing and then keeps walking away and leaving it in while he does other things. After what seemed like an eternity he finally finished. Bobby was a little shell-shocked from that experience, but I guess it is good practice for when all kinds of people will be checking things out down there during labor and delivery.

In the end, the stoney D.O. said that he didn't think it was amniotic fluid based upon his look under the microscope. And based upon other things they didn't think it was pre-term labor, but they sent off an fFN test to check things out.

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience since the results turned out ok. And we loved the nurse we had - I just hope she's there when the main even occurs!

After that stressful day, I thought I could relax, knowing that all I had to do was follow-up with my doctor this week. I went for my 1-hour glucose test Monday morning and put a call in to the office to get a follow-up appointment. The nurse called back to tell me that my fFN test was positive, which could indicate a risk of pre-term labor in the next few weeks. Obviously, this would not be good since the baby still has quite a few weeks to go. So, she set me up with an ultrasound and appointment in the afternoon.

After being nervous all day and hardly able to work, we got to have our ultrasound. We were very reassured to hear that that fluid level looks great and that my cervix is still "8 miles long" and shut tight. They also checked out the baby again so we got to have another look, which was fun. And we finally got our cute profile shot. In the end, I was instructed to take things easy, keep tabs on any symptoms or issues, and call right away with a problem. It was a big relief.

Then I got another call this morning from the nurse telling me that my glucose test results were in and I fell just 3 points above the "normal" cutoff line. The hits just keep in coming! So, I get to head back to the lab next Tuesday to do my 3-hour test. Hopefully, that will put an end to issues and get us back on the smooth sailing track.

4 comments:

Marni said...

like i said before.....there must be something in the water on eaton rd....whats with all the diabetes? (although, hopefully abby, you wont have gestational diabetes too).

Cara said...

Scary! I hope you're feeling better and that it's smooth sailing from here on out. Let us know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is okay now! That must have been scary. You seem in good spirits now but please don't hesitate to ask if you need something. I hope you pass your glucose test with flying colors!

Unknown said...

Abby,

My name is Lisa Gyllstrom, and I'm a member of the public relations team that raises awareness for FullTerm, The Fetal Fibronectin test. I read your blog with interest and thought you might like to learn more about the test. Check out www.fullterm.net, and feel free to include the site as a link on your blog so that readers can access the information. Additionally, if you have a Facebook profile, join "FullTerm, The Fetal Fibronectin Test" fan page to help spread the word about prematurity and the FullTerm Test.

Best,
Lisa Gyllstrom
fullterms@schwartz-pr.com