Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Second What?!?!?

Well, it's happened. By some stroke of luck, fate, or swimming ability, I now have bun in the oven. I've known for about a month and its been tempting to write, but until we told our families I kept my mouth mostly closed. It was a shock to me. I mean, not a complete shock, since we were trying, after all, but I was 100% certain I was getting my period the whole week leading up to the test. All of the same symptoms popped up, just like they have every single month for what feels like forever. Bobby, in what I thought was naive optimism, kept telling me that we probably were pregnant because he was sure we "did it right." Oh Bobby, if only it were that easy. Turns out, he was right after all.

At the end of a long week after closing up a difficult and stressful trial, I felt wiped out. In order to cheer me up Bobby took me to dinner and for several delicious glasses of wine at the wine store on Green Road (great place, by the way). I giggled and stumbled my way home, with no clue of what awaited me. The next morning, I woke up expecting to find my period in full swing. It was not. For fun, I decided to take a test, just to confirm my suspicion that stress from the trial had my period delayed (not uncommon for me). To my complete shock, as I washed my hands, I could have sworn I saw a faint second line appearing. So I stood on the toilet to get closer to the light and while squinting the sleepiness out of my eyes I tried to focus on the the little window. My heart started racing and I ran into the bedroom for confirmation from Bobby who was sound asleep. I woke him up by saying "Bobby, you have to look at this RIGHT NOW." His response was, naturally, "What did the dogs do now?" I dragged him out of the bed and to the window to look at the faint line with me. It was pretty exciting and surreal all at the same time. To learn that I was pregnant when I thought I definitely was not - it was like an emotional 180 degree shift. During the next fews days I spent a small fortune on additional tests and took 6 more "just to confirm." But a trip to the doctor confirmed it!

For the next week or so I had major paranoia - each little ache, pain, and incidence of spotting threw me into a tailspin or worry and doubt. Thankfully, my doctor gave me an early ultrasound and we saw a little sac. Then the following week we went back again and saw the little heart beating in the middle of what looked like a peanut. Yesterday, we had our first official doctors appointment and everything checked out fine.

Now, up until the last week or so I felt fine - great even. Not tired, not sick, not weird in any way. Then, it hit me. Feelings so bizzare I can't even put them into words. Most of the time, I feel like I have a fever - my skin is hot, my body is achy, and my stomach turns. Of course, when I take my temperature I don't have a fever at all. I am nauseous most of the day, starting about mid-morning. Thankfully, I haven't actually gotten sick yet, but the feeling is enough to ruin my day. My best friends have become sea bands, lifesavers, string cheese and saltines. Hopefully, the nausea along with the exhaustion, "weirdness" feelings, and hot skin will begin to subside soon. Then I look forward to actually getting a belly, which I think is going to be really exciting.

So, from here on out I hope to chronicle the ups and downs of my first pregnancy.

1 comment:

'BOTB said...

CONGRATULATIONS, ABBY!!