Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Environmental Baby

A friend I've known my entire life is a few short weeks away from becoming a mom for the first time! It's very exciting stuff and the little bundle of joy is set to arrive right around my next trip home, here's to hoping I can meet the little squirmer while I'm there! I'm trying to find an appropriate gift for the occasion. I refuse to purchase anything made in China, (sorry if this offends anyone, but I prefer to keep my money here in the U.S. and I don't want to support lead paint in toys) which is pretty difficult (try it some time). To complicate things further, I'd like to buy something in organic cotton (I like to support the environment too!). The tricky part is that I'd like to buy something in organic cotton without having to take out a loan. My friend wouldnt care one way or another if I don't buy organic cotton, this is purely a personal decision of mine. I've been trying lately to spend my money to support the local economy first, (also not easy to do when you are living in Northeast Ohio) and to be earth friendly second (again, not easy). I could very easily 'give up', march to target and purchase some adorable winnie the pooh outfit (made in China) and be done with the whole thing. I'm too stubborn for that. I am not, however, too stubborn to ask for help. I am currently looking for suggestions on where to buy 'affordable' organic cotton baby clothes. Oh yeah, it has to be in a unisex color.

4 comments:

Marni said...

so, you know how i work out in the boonies and the only thing they have out there is walmart, sometimes i wander around walmart just to see what they have (and the walmarts out there are MUCH nicer than the awful one at severance)....and i know you would never go into walmart, but i have to tell you that they have a line of baby clothes called "george". i was intrigued this morning so i looked online and it turns out they are made in the USA....and the baby stuff is all organic cotton. and they are cheap (one three piece set i found online was $5).
other than that, its really expensive. although im definitely partial to the baby clothes from mini boden and from hanna anderson although im not sure theyre organic.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at Whole Foods? I think they have a baby section with a few items (Robeez) and I'm guessing its organic but probably not inexpensive

'BOTB said...

Check Etsy.com. You can buy crafts, etc., made by local artisans. You can search for things by color, key word, etc. So if you were looking for a baby outfit with a giraffe on it made in cleveland, you could easily do that. I'm not sure what kind of baby things they have, as it probably varies, but alot of the local artisans like to use sustainable products, etc. It's a great site to have in your favorites anyhow!

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Kevin have gotten Adeline a few tye-died jumpers from one of the venders at the Shaker Market. They are super cute and locally made. I can't recall off hand if they are all organic but it might be worth a trip to the farmer's market to find out. (I am always looking for an excuse to go to the farmer's market)

Sarah